Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Godfather DVD Set vs. The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration

VLUU L210  / Samsung L210

Yes, I double dipped yet again. But I have my reasons. This reason is because the DVD set to the left is my moms. Very cool set if your just looking for The Godfather and don’t care about quality and just have a good amount of extras. Now with the new set, with an extra title of “The Coppola Restoration” has both almost perfect quality movies and more extras. Here are some snapshot comparison of both DVD’s:

vlcsnap-11928

vlcsnap-29815

Top: Coppola Restoration (2008)

Bottom: DVD Collection (2001)

3-29

vlcsnap-31926

Top: Coppola Restoration

Bottom: DVD Collection

And here are even closer comparison’s (I wasn’t as lazy):

godfather shot

(Click for bigger picture) Same order as well.

appolina killed

Same order. Also apparently they did many takes of Apollonia’s death scene.

Here are some more pic’s I feel I shouldn’t show (for obvious reasons) yet are important due to color and contrast.

So far how do the movies hold out? Well obviously the Coppola Restoration takes the cake on this one.

Now for the Box sets pictures:

SDC10783

Here’s the original within 4 cardboard boxes. Not thin-packs mind you, but card board boxes.

SDC10784

Now for the Steelbook, since I did get the Steelbook packaing will be different and less space. How did they fit 5 DVD’s you ask, the most they fit into a Steelbook? Here’s how:

SDC10790

It exists! Strange packaging, but they do exist. Kinda wondering why they don’t do this for most box sets. Either for less money, or to make the box set look nicer. Either way its a win-win situation, also depending on packaging contents. This Steelbook only includes a book which is glued to the back of it. Very poorly which I may add which could damage the detail book if removed improperly:

SDC10797

Also I’m a bit anal retentive when it comes to box art. Some of you may know this, but I like simple art as well. Just the name of the movie and what the DVD set is will just about do it for me. I don’t care much for the blood effect with the portraits of the cast embedded with it, but I still like Steelbooks anyways. In the end it all depends on the quality of the DVD you want, wiether you care or not, but don't think you can find the older version due to out of print. Don’t have The Godfather yet? Time to get it. Why do we need Blu-Ray if it looks nice enough? *shrugs* More marketing?

 

Video of the Day(?):

So what is this anyways? An Expansion Pak? Something?!:

1 comment:

Anthony said...

That is some quality gets. I like the more basic black box too but c'mon man -steelbook!

You can notice the restoration's improvement just by the logo. It goes from off-white to white.


That video must be for an expansion pack. Why else would they specifically say "Halo 3"?