Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My First Visit to Anime Expo 2010

Its that time of year when some of America’s best conventions make its appearance during that one time of the year. And for me the best conventions I have seen are E3 (which I can’t go to at all), Anime Expo, and San Diego Comic-Con. Well, now I can finally cross off a convention I can actually go to which is the LA Anime Expo. While Comic-Con is the biggest Comic Convention ever, the Anime Expo is the biggest Anime and Manga Convention where most otaku’s, cosplayers and anime fans alike are free to roam. It was my first time there and there was a whole lot to see and do. I think the thing to notice most are the cosplayers. From great cosplaying to the awful, its still probably the best thing to see. I pointed out way too many in a noticeable manner. I also tried my hand at volunteering for 4 hours which was exhausting work, but is sure to pay off when I get the next day for free.

Well moving on here are some pictures of the Anime Expo event. I will also give out non-existent rewards to some of the pictures of people cosplaying. Well enjoy some of the things I saw:

SDC11711

Pictured, more or less in the middle is the most powerful blogger to have ever lived: Danny Choo. An incredibly crazy dude who also does websites, owns his own show, his own anime, and even his own toyline! He also goes around Japanese schools dressed up as a stormtrooper showing us Americans what the Japanese do in school. He also has a British accent when he speaks English. He is just about everything that defines epicness.

SDC11713

Now an enhanced picture of Danny Choo with some dude with no relation. Stormtrooper toy though.

Somewhat after that we saw a panel for a Japanese Actress named Yui Horie. An incredibly and painfully cute person to be in the presence in. It was a bit cruel what they made her say in English, but it shows off just how adorable she is. I also tried to take pictures but was denied to keep them even if i was far. Apparently it was meant for the press only to take pictures. I can’t be press yet?

I should have been more ninja like. Did manage to catch the last bit of her new anime titled: Toradora! It shaping to be an interesting anime to watch. After that I tried to get her autograph, but I won’t go into it.

Before taking off I managed to see an Anime OVA called ICE. Its about this post apocalyptic Earth where all men have died leaving only women. These military women try to find the key to prevent humanity’s extinction through a mysterious project called ICE. It was terrible and bizarre. My cousin explained its a throwback to crappy 80’s OVA. I believe him.

It sounds shorter, but it was all in a day. I spent most of my time in the exhibit hall buying next to nothing even when I was tempted by all the sale prices. Did manage to buy a nice button pin that has a cake and the word lie on it. Some of you will know what I’m referencing.

Now for some cosplay, enjoy:

SDC11696

This is probably one cosplay I was looking forward to seeing at Anime Expo. The Prince from the Katamari Damacy games. The bonus was that a girl was dressed up as the Prince. She gets an award for cosplaying as something I was looking forward to! Yeah, its lame. Your going to have to live with that now.

SDC11714

Not the best Snake cosplay out there, but he did have a box. He doesn’t get an award since he’s missing a patch and beard. Snake? SNNNAAAAAKKKKKEEEE!!!!!

SDC11700

Fast food restaurant mascots get the award for best group cosplay. The king mask kind of kills it. Nah, nevermind I’ll let it pass.

SDC11716

Scratch the last award, best group cosplay goes to people in this epic picture of people dressed up as characters from the Kingdom Hearts series. Epic indeed.

SDC11709

Yay, a cousin from the Katamari Damacy series! You get an award for furthering something I was looking forward to! Good job!

SDC11691

And you get the strangest cosplay award my friend. Nice effort, but its your execution….wait does that person look familiar behind him? Good lord I just noticed that…And I’m gonna leave that to you on who that looks like…

And the best cosplay award goes to:

SDC11715

Lady dressed up as Old Sophie from Howl’s Moving Castle! Congrats on winning…on winning!

I took more pictures if you would like to take a look here. And now I will leave you with a celebrity [to most of us] that I saw at Anime Expo. Enjoy!:

SDC11699

Its Zack! The black Power Ranger!

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Nice. I'm especially glad you got such great photos.