Friday, May 9, 2008

Updated: Movies In Need Of A DVD Re-Release

And now for something different...for a while now I've been posting Dark Knight updates. Now that their hasn't been anything new for a while and most of everyone is still watching the new trailer, in my very small spare time I have come up with a list of DVD movies that are in dire need of a re-release. Who else has been wanting to see a movie and want more? Maybe its more extras, a commentary, or an anamorphic movie. What's anamorphic you say? Read about it here.

Now that its taken you about 2 hours, for those of you who don't know what it is, about understanding the strange ways of anamorphic widescreen you probably want a DVD like that now for your fancy widescreen TV. Lets just hope the movie is meant to be seen that way as well. Well here I've comprised a list of DVDs worthy of a re-release either for more extras or for it to be seen the way it was made:

The Rocketeer: 3901279_gal.png

Why?: This one of the first superhero's I became familiar with while I was growing up. I liked the movie, I think it deserves a good place on DVD and containing many extras. Which could include how they made him fly, either in a featurette or just in the making of the movie. I also like the old style of the movie taking place in what looks like during World War II were Nazi (I hate these guys)slogans are everywhere. This certainly needs a new release.


Cliff Secord
: (Donning the Rocketeer's helmet) "How do I look?"

"Peevy" Peabody: "Like a hood ornament."


Dick Tracy:dicktracyDM0304_468x673

Why?: Some of you will be thanking me later since this is another classic from the early 90's which stars a very much younger Warren Beatty. Its a very stylistic and very good comic book style movie. I remember vague things about the movie since I saw it very long ago, but I do know its based on the comics. I don't think the old DVD is anamorphic but it is definitely an old movie which does quite deserve another look at. Wait Madonna was in this?

The Nightmare Before Christmas:

Why?: We won't see this happening for a while for one reason: Its a Disney movie. Because of Disney's "Vault" program re-releases come like 3 Disney Re-mastered DVD's a year. Its a slow very messy process so don't expect an anamorphic DVD anytime soon. You can by the old DVD at select Disney park Nightmare Before Christmas stores (yes the stories are true!) for like $30 (damn you Disney), which I unfortunately bought. Maybe we can get also the 3D version which was seen only in theaters, which I have yet to see, but only in my dreams.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids:mgm-shrunk-kids-b

Why?: A nostalgic piece of family movie history is this type of adventure which I still to this day, I wonder how the hell they actually do that? I'd like to see some DVD features on how they created the very huge environments. They actually got to eat a giant sized marshmallow cookie sandwich and ride an ant. Who else has dreamed about that? Everyone that's who. (Image Info: That pic is not actually from the movie, but a movie set adventure theme adventure which is at DisneyWorld. They are living our fantasy.)

Super Mario Bros. The Movie: Super Mario Brothers

Why?!: Just because. No seriously who wouldn't want to see another set of this very uninspired video game to movie theme based movie and one of the first. I think it is the first actually and who wouldn't want a piece of movie history on DVD? Nuff said. Although what's with the Goomba's? They should have like an hour long featurette explaining that.





I just noticed I have two movies up by the same director. Leave comments for what movie you want to be Re-released.


One more thing; I forgot to post this one:

The Neverending Story:

Why?: A childhood classic for some, but this is one really thought out adventure. The movie also kinda scared me. Not so much with Falkor, but with possibly the Giant turtle dude. It was weird (Speaking of Falcor, what the hell was he anyway?). I mean when I saw it I'm like, theres a freaking giant turtle in a swamp that looked like an island before. Plus it almost let Atreyu die as he sank in the swamp. That was one horrific scene. Still one good movie nonetheless. It should probably be coupled with Neverending Story II, yet that movie still annoys me to this day (especially Bastian who looks like either a girl or a guy, whats with the casting there?) Lot's of good memories, seriously who hasn't ever dreamed of riding Falkor while chasing your 6th grade bullies? Yeah!

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Man I am so with you on this list. I'd buy special edition DVDs of all of them. Especially The Rocketeer. But especially Super Mario Bros. Goomba!