Monday, June 22, 2009

Inside: The 25th Anniversary of Ghostbusters

Hm, I'd imagine it be longer, but thats just me. Also it was around my time when more merchandizing came out in promotion for the 2nd movie which is when it really took off, not so much for the 2nd movie just the franchise in general, but I digress... So its been that long, eh? Just 5 years ago they re-released, if I'm correct, a 2 disc edition of the movies, which I bought and now this year comes the Blu-Rays and a new video game of the movie, which is a blast by the way. Ghostbusters has come a long way. The new video game can be called a continuation or the 3rd movie in video game form, but as playing it and from reviews it is quickly becoming one of the best movie to video games out there. Besides that, I thought I would take a look back with some music videos from the movies, some stuff from the cartoon shows and whatnot. Yep a bunch of YouTube vids again, but then again what would we do without it? I can't explain most things in picture form, so just enjoy the videos:

Ok, I'm going to kinda go in order here. Here's the strangely imaginative music video (in my opinion) for the first Ghostbusters Theme Song. As sung by Ray Parker Jr.:




John Candy's ghost? Not bad other Ray. Next, as to my surprise, came The Real Ghost Busters. Not to be confused with the other Ghostbusters, accompanied by a gorilla which came years before. I still don't know if theres any connection to this day, sans the gorilla. I see no real connection besides the name.

Here's The Real Ghost Busters Theme:


Yes they added: The Real, so the original show that had Ghostbusters in their won't sue. I just found the pilot episode which is pretty awesome, which takes some key parts and is placed within the intro. Also Ray apparently is allowed to ride on the roof of the Ecto-1:


I also noticed they can somehow contain so many ghosts including the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man. But then again its a cartoon and I am pointing out things too much. Now I know someone will enjoy the End Credits:


Next to be released was Ghost Busters II (Electric Boogaloo), not the greatest, but its got its moments. The music, was well, appropriate for its time. Which include a rap song and a redone main theme, which both I don't find too bad and I'm not a fan either. New theme sounds like a remix of the original theme. It probably is:


Here's the rap song by Bobby Brown. It aint bad. It was the end theme to the movie which showed the Statue of Liberty placed to its original position. I didn't find the ending, instead I found a picture compilation unfortunately:


I'd post the music video, buts its pretty awful, even for its time. Its got Rick Moranis and Donald Trump making appearances though.

Well the thing with Ghostbusters II, even though not a great movie, its within pop culture now and will be remembered for mostly that. I enjoyed the beginning of the movie in part of its defense.

There were some video games that came out in between the times, but too much to point out and weren't made as well as the one we have now. So lets move to 6 years after The Real Ghostbusters to Extreme Ghostbusters. Probably how the 3rd movie will turn out, if it ever comes out, it takes place probably just the right amount of years after Real. It was great to see Ghosbusters come back from long cartoon retirement, but then again it took a strange new turn to appeal to the generation of fans. Take a look:


You don't have to watch the whole thing, the intro comes up around a minute. Very different style though, and the intro, well the guitar was a nice touch. The singer for the song was pushing it. Awesome to see it come back after so many years though, unfortunately it was short lived which only lasted a season. The reason could be not enough of an audience or other numerous reasons. I don't really know, but I'm surprised it didn't last longer. I was just happy to see Ghostbusters again.

Now on to something different. Apparently Universal Orlando had their own attraction to promote the first movie. It was an entertainment show with its own street based on which the firehouse the Ghostbusters stay at within Universal. Dang, can't believe we never got that. This video speaks better than words:


Louis was never that quirky. And apparently years later to coincide with the new Extreme Ghostbusters show, this happened:


Yeah...maybe we dodged a bullet for that one. Beetlejuice crossover was an interesting formula that didn't work for this. Seriously who thought it was good to do it this way? I expected more...

1 comment:

Anthony said...

There's a whole lot to take in here. I'm going to leave a comment before I even finish watching all of the videos.

The Ray Parker Jr. music video has never been included on any the DVD or Blu-Ray releases, probably because of all the random celebrity cameos. George Wednt and the actress who played Coco in Fame must command some hefty fees.

The whole Ghostbusters vs. The Real Ghostbusters scenario is so bizarre. The former was based on a forgotten live action TV show The Ghost Busters and was made to cash in on an unrelated new movie with the same name.

That pilot is interesting because the original design of Peter was originally much less exaggerated though it doesn't look any more like Bill Murray. They're also all wearing the same tan uniforms like the movie.

Yes I did watch the ending theme. Almost immediately. Columbia Pictures was owned by Coca-Cola?

I haven't watched the Extreme Ghostbusters episode yet but I watched the opening sequence. Accept it's awesomeness. I downloaded it awhile back but the TV version is better because of the sound effects.