Tuesday, December 9, 2008

An Epic Day

Most people know today is the day The Dark Knight is out on DVD. And I have the review of the FYE exclusive steelbook here. I did go to Best Buy to buy the Batpod Blu-Ray Special Edition, unfortunately they were out since I had no idea they had a midnight opening for the movie and I got nothing except for the Batman Statuette, which technically isn’t a statuette. Store exclusives here. In any case I got the movie at least and I’ll eventually get the Batpod online. And after seeing the Circuit City exclusive, I wants it now. With some partially bad news and good news out of the way, a random thing happened: I got an email saying I had won a contest, which was back in October, for a Ghost Story contest. My story that I wrote for some English club in my school, which was devised in about 5 minutes, will be published in Ghost Stories (which I assume is some sort of book) by my schools English Department and I get a check (amount wasn’t specified). Epic Indeed.

Now on to the review. First here are some very nice pictures of the Steelbook artwork:

SDC11190

Front Side

SDC11191

Back Side.

If I ever said The X-Files: I Want To Believe was the best Steelbook I have ever seen, I stand corrected; THIS is the best Steelbook I have ever seen. The Steelbook actually feels authentic, the feel of it is what makes it awesome. It feels like it will actually last more so than any other Steelbook.

The first disk is just the movie. No extras at all, but it is again how the previous Batman Begins was, so don’t expect a lot from the single disk edition. Although if you want a nicer copy of The Dark Knight, you may want to get the 2 disk edition and I will explain why:

On the second disk, it contains:

The Dark Knight: Digital Copy

Gotham Uncovered: Creation of a Scene

The Dark Knight IMAX Scenes: View the 6 scenes that was in IMAX (Note: It isn’t widescreen really, well it is but not anamorphic; a poor choice)

Gotham Tonight (Not a great feature, which is kinda like a Talk Show in Gotham.)

The Galleries – Poster Art, Production Stills and all the Trailers.

A nice set of extras no? Also the one thing that you might want to get this for is: The Digital Copy. For some odd reason it is way better than it is on the disk itself. It is also were the first time the Digital Copy is something I really like. The Windows format doesn’t work for some reason, but the Quicktime does and its in really great quality. It even has the IMAX sequences. A really odd choice, but yet its the best one to get.

The Result? This DVD gets about a 8.0. Its a great set, but I could use some more features. I also must see it on Blu-Ray. Remember to catch it in Theaters and IMAX again in January!

Update; Heres the Statuette picture:


Update 12/12:

Photobucket

I couldn't make it smaller, so you get to see a big size. I got it online so no hassle at the store.

Video of the Day:

International Terminator: Salvation Trailer:


Terminator 4 - Neuer Japanischer Trailer - MyVideo

3 comments:

Anthony said...

Wow there's a lot to comment on. I'll tackle things one at a time.

First that is so cool that you won the Ghost Story contest.

Very nice steelbook gets. What you say about quality of the digital copy sounds unusual.

I'm sorry to hear about the Bat-Pod set being sold out but if you had to miss out on any version it's good that it's a non-exclusive version. I hope you get it soon.

But you did get a statuette? Got any pics?

The Terminator Salvation trailer is interesting. They seem to be emphasizing that it is indeed an alternate future. The giant machine at the end looked cool.

Gabriel said...

Just put up the statuette pic. It was in my mom's car so I didn't have it at the moment.

Anthony said...

Sweet statuettes. It's cool that you were able to get both.