Saturday, May 16, 2009

IMAX Woes

Hey out there its been a while. I wanted to talk about something recent so here it is and where I stand in this whole IMAX fiasco that’s beginning. Aziz Ansari, of Parks and Recreation fame, complained on his blog about how “IMAX Digital” rips you off. I think I have known this from the beginning when I first saw IMAX in the digital projection and I went in thinking it was the huge screen you usually see. I believe IMAX first started this way with films rather than the documentary films which are in full blown IMAX. Its usually gotten better with Universal CityWalk, after going back to see The Day the Earth Stood Still, after feeling relieved to know it had the big screen as advertised.

Now its getting bad again with movies releasing in IMAX digital screens. Yes, they are significantly smaller and are a rip off. There’s no denying this. How can you pay to see a film for $16 on a huge screen and still pay the same price on a smaller screen? Here is a comparison from Aziz's blog:

The smaller screen is the thing in question. Really? Why call it IMAX? Why pay $16 for that? Its only a few inches bigger than the screen at my theater, but its fundamentally the same. Its only $7.50 matinee price at the Krikorian theater (where they show digital screen showings), compared to $16. I’m just saving you money here if you go to the IMAX digital theaters.

I also did a bit of research of my own and found nowhere on the IMAX website that shows the screen size between an Original huge IMAX screen between the small IMAX screen. Seriously go to the website now and just look around for a few minutes. They say absolutely nothing. To further save you the trouble of finding out which theaters have a real IMAX screen here is a map which shows the real screens.

That’s a lot of screens with digital IMAX. I am intrigued about the Dome IMAX theaters. Those must be awesome. Anyways, bottom line: go to theaters with a digital screens that aren’t marked with IMAX and go to the true IMAX screens posted on the map. Saves you a ton of money. On the other hand if you go to an IMAX theater; at least go to a true one. Even though Aziz probably made a bad choice of watching the whole movie, he is completely right on the matter. IMAX Digital plainly sucks. Common sense. Save money, especially during the economy.

Movie Posters that look like other Posters:

Technically the art that compares to this movie poster, isn’t a poster, but they both really look the same. Here we began by showing the latest Transformers poster for the new movie:

transformers_revenge_of_the_fallen

After looking at it and realizing it looked like something I have seen before. It dawned on me:

410VAJENC3L._SL500_AA240_

The dude who created the Transformers Poster is an Eva fan! Nuff said.

Something Extra:

Has anyone seen anything of Fringe? If you have, you gotta seriously watch the season finale. That was one of the best 47 minutes and 6 seconds I have ever seen. Its seriously going to be like Lost, too (Both created by J.J. Abrams too). Abrams is now the new god of television and movies. Plus there’s some Spock on the finale, there’s a big upside.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

*gasp* An update! And a new header to boot. Nice.

I never really gave any consideration to the cost of an IMAX ticket. I didn't know they charge you the same price regardless of the amount of the screen being used. I wouldn't call it a rip-off but it would probably be better if they didn't charge the full $16.50.

I've got that same Evangelion set sans the U.K rating symbol. :P